Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, February 26, 2011


I don't think I ever thought I would be blogging about a hospital stay (outside of giving birth) but here I am! Natalee was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday the 23rd! Let me start from the beginning...

Friday, I left work early, because she was running a 101 fever. I took her to the doctor where we found out she had double ear infections (go figure). We can't get rid of the ear infections to save our lives! She was supposed to already have tubes put in, but our insurance is still not covering her...so we are going to have to wait until that gets all cleared up. Anyway...ear infections...anti-biotic...check. Saturday she starts running a 105.2 fever...that gets as high as 105.8! Talk about SCARY! We end up at Northwest ER about 6pm. Just for the record, if you ever have an emergency, don't go to the ER, it seems nothing is deemed urgent enough there...just a little irritated! Finally, 4 hours later, we are in a room. Really? Do you not think a 106 fever for a one year old is a little more urgent? Anyway...blood was drawn, a cath was put in for urine, and a x-ray of her chest was taken. All tests came back negative. We left the ER, and the fever was down to around 101. It made for a VERY long night. Monday the doctor calls. She said that in the cultures that were taken, mono cells were found amongst her white blood cells. Mono seemed to fit the bill of her symptoms too. Mono is very contagious so I had to call into work for the REST of the WEEK! We would go on Tuesday to get the blood drawn to see if it was mono, but the tests wouldn't be back until Friday...meaning we wouldn't know if we were contagious until then. Talk about a weird conversation with your boss..."I'm calling in for the rest of the week because Natalee might have mono." Thankfully, she was understanding about it. Tuesday, we go to the lab at Northwest to have blood drawn AGAIN! :( She was not a very happy camper, but it was done quickly. Wednesday, we get a call from the doctor. The blood work showed that she was severely dehydrated. We had to go back to the doctor's office, where we were then admitted into the hospital on Wednesday afternoon. Our stay at the hospital was not enjoyable! We got there, and she got an IV. My mom and dad came and Jeremy and Kara were also there. I cannot describe to you the look of fear on her face. It was just awful. She refused to drink anything on her own and wasn't having many wet diapers. Thursday we hope that we are going home, but find out that we will be staying yet another night. I notice the tape is coming off of her IV, and I don't want it to fall out, so I ask the nurse if she can re-wrap it. We hold Natalee down, and I promise you also don't understand how STRONG she is, and when we get all the tape off, the nurse says that the IV will have to be moved because there is swelling taking place. My heart just dropped. This was the one thing I was trying to avoid, and instead, it's the one thing we are going to have to do! I hated knowing that she was going to have to go through that again. The first time was bad enough! The nurse says that she is going to have some college observers in the room, so only one parent will be able to go. Jeremy volunteered for the nasty job of helping hold our baby down. I walked down and stood outside the door with her blanket, so that when they were done, I could comfort her. For the next 15 minutes, they were trying to get an IV in. They had to poke her THREE different times. I am a wreck outside of the door, because I realize that it isn't over, and I hear her crying out in fear and pain and desperation. I finally have to walk away...it was just too hard. The nurse said that she was so strong, that as soon as they would get the needle in, the vain would blow. They finally got one to go in, and stay in, in her foot. This made the rest of the stay miserable, because now, she couldn't even stand up or walk around. Natalee had to go through all of that to have the IV in a whole other 10 hours before we were released! I was so heart broken for her. Why was that necessary? Was she still even dehydrated at that point? No one new the answer, but Natalee had to be poked. Talk about an experience that I hope and pray we never have to go through again. We were released on Friday. She was poked a total of 7 times! I'm glad that this is all behind us.

As I sat in the hospital on the night where the IV would not go in, I just started to sob. I realized that it took three times to get the IV in...and that Jesus had three nails placed in him. I could picture the look of terror on Mary's face as she stood there helpless and watched her son be crucified. Three needles in my daughter broke my heart. Three nails in my Jesus killed him. I cannot imagine sacrificing my one and only daughter for a world that did not love. I cannot imagine the pain that He went through for ME.  What an eye opener it was....comparing three needles to three nails. The ultimate sacrifice. Natalee hurt for a while...but Jesus died for me. Nothing compares to his death. Just when I thought we had reached the worst of the worst....Jesus and the cross were brought to my mind. The best part of the story...Jesus isn't dead. He didn't go through that pain in vain. He went through that pain for ME. Now, we can share in eternity with him. What a mighty GOD we serve. I love that even at a low "mommy moment," Jesus was there.

 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." John 11:25-26

"Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."
Romans 6:8-11
saddest picture ever!


No comments:

Post a Comment